Island Sailing recommends....
A variety of sailing and sailor resources - information, classes, books, and even quotes.
Starpath Homestudy Courses [click here] The Starpath School of Navigation will prepare you for certification tests offered by ANY sailing association in any nation.
Sailing Quotes [click here] an ongoing list of many of our favorite sailing quotes, proverbs and inspirations.
NauticEd Free Stuff: NauticEd offers 2 FREE classes (Nav Rules and Sail Trim) that we recommend for all sailors. It's free, no obligation. Also, membership includes an online logbook/resume (and some fun apps) that records your training and experience progress, can be automatically sent to charterers worldwide, and otherwise makes life easier for beginner and Salty sailors alike. Good "stuff", for more information GO→
Affiliates and Web Resources
- AGWE Sailing - if in Portland, Capt. Frankland's one of the top instructors in the NW and offers afternoon sails and private instruction.
- Cat About Charters - if thinking of warm and sunny sailing in the BVI's, first consider Capt. Barber.
- Salish Sea Sailing - if looking to cruise / learn in the San Juans, we highly recommend Capt. John and Kathleen Salinas
- West Coast Sailing - these guys know their dingies, and a Great resource for foulies and gear
- NauticEd - we're a NauticEd Training Facility
- Starpath - David Burch and Starpath publish extraordinary materials, and their pro-level courses are the best in the NW
Weather & Navigation Resources
- Rules of the Waterways for Boating and Yachting - a great resource for Navigation rules and the international, inland, etc... variations (thanks Cassie!)
- Weather Underground - good general weather forecasts & radar
- Sailflow - we check this every day! Wind predictions for your area (for Kirkland, the 520 bridge forecast is esp. useful)
- Deepzoom - a great visual site for checking tides and currents
- National Weather Service - we enjoy the "Forecast Discussion"
- Washington DOT Ferry Weather - a useful site for wind conditions on the Puget Sound
- PassageWeather.com - specializes in sailing weather Forecasts.
Marinas & Boatyards
- BB Marine - Complete Rigging and Marine Electrician services in Portland, Butch is one of the best! Butch Bogan, (503) 312-2418, BBMarinepdx@gmail.com
- Columbia Crossings - our Portland fleet
- West Bay Marina - Olympia fleet (Tugboat Annies is a sailor's paradise)
- West Shore Marina - Gig Harbor fleet (we've stumbled home from Tides and 7 Seas Brewery a few times, usually sobering up at Java & Clay Cafe)
- Kirkland 2nd Avenue Pier - the City of Kirkland Parks & Recreation Department is one of the finest we've encountered.
- Schooner Creek Boat Works - again in Portland, Schooner Creek is simply extraordinary
- Swantown Marina - for boat repairs/haulouts in the South Sound, we recommend Swantown