Island Sailing recommends....
A variety of sailing and sailor resources - information, classes, books, and even quotes.
Sailing Gear» a selection of gear that we recommend sailors consider, and notably we're only recommending gear that we've tried or keep in our sailing bag....
Sailing Books» a collection of our recommended and favorite sailing books - our"Library" of sailing books includes instructional, many navigation, and a few essentials!
Starpath Homestudy Courses» The Starpath School of Navigation will prepare you for certification tests offered by ANY sailing association in any nation.
Sailing Quotes» an ongoing list of many of our favorite sailing quotes, proverbs and inspirations.
NauticEd Free Stuff: NauticEd offers 2 FREE classes (Nav Rules and Sail Trim) that we recommend for all sailors. It's free, no obligation. Also, membership includes an online logbook/resume (and some fun apps) that records your training and experience progress, can be automatically sent to charterers worldwide, and otherwise makes life easier for beginner and Salty sailors alike. Good "stuff", for more information GO»
Affiliates and Web Resources
- AGWE Sailing - if in Portland, Capt. Frankland's one of the top instructors in the NW and offers afternoon sails and private instruction.
- West Coast Sailing - these guys know their dingies, and a Great resource for foulies and gear
- NauticEd - the world's leader in online sailing education
- Starpath - David Burch and Starpath publish extraordinary materials, and their pro-level courses are the best in the NW
Weather & Navigation Resources
- Marine Weather - a GREAT collection of Maritime Weather Resources
- Weather Underground - good general weather forecasts & radar
- Sailflow - we check this every day! Wind predictions for your area (for Kirkland, the 520 bridge forecast is esp. useful)
- Deepzoom - a great visual site for checking tides and currents
- Marine Traffic - Global ship tracking (AIS)
- FastSeas - weather routing and passage planning tool
- National Weather Service - we enjoy the "Forecast Discussion"
- NOAA Current Surface Maps - for the US...
- Washington DOT Ferry Weather - a useful site for wind conditions on the Puget Sound
- PassageWeather.com - specializes in sailing weather Forecasts.
- Rules of the Waterways for Boating and Yachting - a great resource for Navigation rules and the international, inland, etc... variations (thanks Cassie!)
Marinas & Boatyards
- BB Marine - Complete Rigging and Marine Electrician services in Portland, Butch is one of the best! Butch Bogan, (503) 312-2418, BBMarinepdx@gmail.com
- Columbia Crossings - our Portland fleet
- West Bay Marina - Olympia fleet (Tugboat Annies is a sailor's paradise)
- West Shore Marina - Gig Harbor fleet (we've stumbled home from Tides and 7 Seas Brewery a few times, usually sobering up at Java & Clay Cafe)
- Kirkland 2nd Avenue Pier - the City of Kirkland Parks & Recreation Department is one of the finest we've encountered.
- Schooner Creek Boat Works - again in Portland, Schooner Creek is simply extraordinary
- Swantown Marina - for boat repairs/haulouts in the South Sound, we recommend Swantown