New to sailing? Want to try racing? Portland's OCSA is offering an opportunity to participate in local racing, to get your 'feet wet' with experiencing sailing as guest crew.
Island Sailing FULLY supports OCSA's program! If you're new to sailing or interested in racing, this is a GREAT opportunity. Below, info....
Portland Sailing - Grow the Sport Race
Sign up now to be guest crew in the Grow the Sport Races on May 7 and 9
Are you new to sailing?
Have some sailing experience but want to try racing on the Columbia?
Have a sailboat but never tried racing?
The Small Yacht Sailing Club of Oregon is holding special races just for you. These races will be the evenings of Tuesday, May 7, and Thursday, May 9, and will be run just like the regular races held each week through the sailing season except each boat will have one or more guest crew. We hope that, by experiencing a sailboat race, you will be inspired to look into joining a team, registering your boat for races, acquiring a sailboat yourself, or maybe, if you are brand new, taking a few more sailing lessons.
Signing up is simple, just go to http://goo.gl/Xp6VPK and fill out the form. A few weeks prior to the race we will contact you with the name of the boat that you are assigned to and the skipper’s name and contact information. You will then need to coordinate with your skipper to learn:
- the location of the boat (marina and slip number)
- what time you should be at the dock
- how to get to the slip if the marina has controlled access
- whether you need to bring sailing gloves and a personal flotation device or if the boat has extras
- You must be able to get to the dock of your assigned boat by 5:30 pm. Boats are either on Hayden Island or along Marine Drive.
- We will try to place you but, depending on demand and availability of crew positions, we may not be able to. If we can’t place you for this race, we will continue to try to place you through the season.
- Physically, you must be able to lift 20 lbs and stand and crouch without issues.
We’re excited to have you try out sailboat racing. If you have questions, contact Bruce Newton at firstname.lastname@example.org