5-Day Bareboat - Pensacola FL
Bareboat Charter Master, RYA Day Skipper & ICC certifications available
A comprehensive near-coastal bareboat course.
5-Day Bareboat Overview
Where: Exploring the Emerald Coast from Pensacola, Florida
Captain/Instructor: Capt. Mark Thompson
Price: starting at $2,850 per cabin (double occupancy)
Certifications Options*: Bareboat Charter Master, RYA Day Skipper (ICC). An optional ICC Assessment may be available.
The Emerald Coast is considered one of the best sail training areas and 'best kept' sailing secrets in the US. Consistent breezes, dolphins off the bow, and Southern laid-back hospitality while gunkholing in scenic and historical bayous. Explore the Intra-coastal waterways and...
..."go outside" (as the locals say) into the Gulf of Mexico and near coastal sailing.
Training: Sailing from Pensacola and along the Emerald Coast challenges sailors with near coastal sailing offshore while navigating shifting shoals, obstructions, technical inlets, busy shipping fairways, confusing night sailing, and the Mississippi Delta with hundreds of miles of bayou - the list goes on. The nearshore winds are perfect for leisurely sailing while the offshore winds can challenge even salty sailors.
The diversity of training options is unparalleled, which is what students want and need! Gaining experience both "inside" and "outside" prepares a sailor for most challenges on the water.
Vacation: The weather's warm, the water emerald green, the barrier beaches have sugar-white sand. The coastline is pristine, unspoiled and natural beauty. Dolphins surfing off the bow is an expectation. Intimate sunsets.
The ports include many historical forts and towns. The South? When not sailing - enjoy the seafood, live music, and many lively "watering holes" along the coast. Perhaps the Blue Angels will train and offer an airshow (their home). Indulge in Gulf-to-table dishes such as steamed shrimp, yellowfin tuna, flounder, red snapper, grouper and fried oysters.
Simply, no experience required to have a LOT of fun....
The vessel is a fully equipped Salina 48 Catamaran. The Salina 48 fuses exterior elegance and interior comfort, finished with the unrivalled quality of the Flagship range. With an upwind sail area of 1410 sq ft, CST mainsail and central controls at the helm station, the Salina 48 is extremely easy to sail. The helm station is integrated with the cockpit for comfort and safety.
Click image to enlarge
Certification & Prerequisites
- Bareboat or RYA Day Skipper students: A NauticEd Skipper, ASA/USSA 103, or equivalent experience recommended. Contact us to discuss your qualifications and ways we can tailor the instruction!
- Spouses/friends are welcomed to join! No experience required, but participants should have both a willingness and capacity to learn sailing and participate in all sailing activities on the yacht.
Training Included: These voyages include a mix of vacation sailing, Catamaran sailing, technical near coastal, night and short offshore training. Practical training at all levels is included, and this is a great opportunity for all levels of sailors to advance their training, experience and skills.
Certifications: As a top RYA and NauticEd instructor, Capt. Thompson offers multiple levels of certifications and training. These voyages include a mix of vacation sailing and technical near coastal, night and short offshore training. Note: while practical training is included, knowledge materials (i.e., online preparatory courses) are not included in the price.
- NauticEd Skipper and Bareboat Charter Master
- RYA Competent Crew, Day Skipper or RYA Coastal Skipper
- ICC (International Certificate of Competence) Assessment
Contact us to discuss certification in more detail, including required knowledge materials and pricing.
Meet RYA Instructor Capt. Mark Thompson
RYA & NauticEd Instructor, ICC Assessor, Catamaran Expert
Mark Thompson with Yachting Education is the Assessor. He is an RYA Sailing Instructor with over 20 years of instruction experience. Mark's one of the best, is very patient and puts student at ease. While the ICC Assessment is pass-fail, Mark creates a positive and low-stress environment for candidates.
As the Principal and Chief Instructor for Yachting Education, Mark Thompson has a significant sailing resume including multiple Atlantic Ocean crossings and experience in Caribbean, Mediterranean, Australian and US waters.+ read more about Capt. Thompson
Mark's career has centered on charter catamarans including a 5 year captaincy aboard the luxury yacht S/Y Lone Star. At 85ft LOA she was at one point the largest charter catamaran in the Caribbean and after crossing the Atlantic, Mark and his crew hosted families on more than 100 weeks of charter.
Mark is a Chief Instructor accredited under NauticEd & RYA programs and has taught hundreds of students in the art of sailing and the nuances of running catamarans. One critical issue he shares is the ability to smoothly and silently communicate and operate theses large powerful vessels.
Mark grew up in Melbourne Australia and joined the maritime industry after a career converting inner city office buildings into trendy apartments. During a year spent traveling the world he discovered a sailing career while driving through Viareggio Italy and thought "you mean I get paid to sail?"
His love of sailing is infectious and his calm, patient demeanor has empowered hundreds of students to consider a bareboat charter and many to purchase their own boat. Whatever your level of expertise, the practical time spent with Mark will be enlightening and your certification will open up a world of sailing opportunities.
Prices & Registration
Prices: All three options are double-occupancy cabins with no additional charge for a second person. Prices are per each leg of the voyage. Upgrade requests are honored on a first come basis....
- $2,850 standard cabin ($1,425/person if double-occupancy)
- +$250 aft cabin upgrade
- +$500 owner’s suite upgrade
- Online Training Materials are not included and additional. The reason is that sailors' experience and training needs are different, and often spouses/friends join to ride along. As such, we'll discuss pre-voyage training materials and the cost, and we'll tailor that training to what you may need.
- For payment, a twenty (20%) per cent deposit is required. The balance is due sixty (60) days before departure, or within seven (7) days from the initial deposit when the departure date is within sixty (60) days. Please see Booking Conditions, Policies & Release for details.
- What's included? Included are all on-board meals, snacks, soft drinks & water, linens, towels, and instructional materials. Students should bring their own foul weather gear, canned alcoholic beverages, a healthy dose of realism and a library of stories and jokes!
- What's not included? transportation, meals ashore, hotels, excursions, alcoholic beverage of your choice, and additional certification training materials. We'll coordinate travel arrangements with all participants.
- Select the date and preferred cabin below, and complete the form.
- You will not be charged! We'll place a 24-hour hold on the space and follow-up with you on details. Our process begins with answering questions and discussing training, goals and other details related to the voyage and travel - before payment.
- You'll be redirected to a Voyage Booking Form. Please complete for each participant.
- If Questions - certainly please contact us!
Pensacola 5-Day Bareboat/RYA Day Skipper (date is the departure day):